It’s that time of the year again, parents are rejoicing and students are huffing and puffing their way back to school. With that being said, the number one priority for schools and campuses across the nation is ensuring that all students remain safe. The state of Illinois has declared August as National School and Campus Preparedness Month in order to spread awareness of school safety and disaster plans. When it comes to the safety of students, it us up to everyone to do their part in helping to not only raise awareness, but take action to ensure that schools and campuses are a safe place.
How Schools and Campuses Can Ensure Student Safety
Schools and campuses hold the whole world’s future, so when I say that it is crucial to make sure that your school or campus is 110% prepared for any potential situation that may arise, I mean it. Since there’s so much pressure, especially given how many threats are received by schools, here are a few ways to ensure that your school is doing everything within its power to ensure a safe environment for all students, faculty and staff:
- Have a fully actionable Emergency Action Plan (EAP) as well as a Business Continuity Plan (BCP). If you need some clarification on what either of those are and why you need them, click here to learn more.
- Update your emergency plans! If your plans are outdated then how on earth do you expect them to be effective? The answer: they won’t be. You should review your plans annually to ensure that there are no major changes that would impact the effectiveness of the plans (structural changes/employee count).
- Once you have updated your plans, you have to test them to make sure that they work and train employees on how to use them. If they don’t work or employees don’t know how to use the plans, when strikes you are going to be up a creek without a paddle, so do yourself a favor and test your plans and train your employees.
- Implement an emergency messaging system. By implementing an emergency messaging system, you’ll be able to quickly notify students, faculty, staff and parents of any incidents that are occurring. With Preparis’ emergency messaging system, those who receive the message will be able to respond back and let others know if they are “ok” or “not ok.” This can make disasters much less stressful.
- Ditch the binder EAP and BCP. It sounds good in theory, but realistically if there’s an emergency you aren’t going to be able to dart around trying to locate that binder. By storing your EAP & BCP electronically, you will be able to have access to it. To learn more about Preparis’ cloud-based document sharing & storage, click here.
Stay Prepared With Preparis
Whether your school is new or has been around for decades, Preparis offers services to fit all of your business continuity and emergency preparedness needs. Preparis’ seasoned team of specialists are able to help assist you with not only creating a BCP and EAP, but help you ensure that your plans stay up to date with annual review and maintenance. In addition, as an all-in-one business continuity solution, everything you need is under one roof, to save you time and money.
To learn more about Preparis’ services, click here.